Yay! The popular Crochet Dragon Scale Fingerless Gloves video tutorial and free written pattern, are available!
Check out my new and improved, simplified ‘crocodile stitch’ method! IT’S CRAZY EASY!! All the teens are wanting Dragon Scale Texting Gloves!
6.5 mm crochet hook
Red Heart Super Saver yarn (approx. 100 yards)
INSTRUCTIONS: See video demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf8LLgCyEIk
- Chain 20, or any length for your desired length of texting glove.
- Half-double crochet in the 2nd stitch from the hook, and each stitch of the chain.
- Chain 2 and turn, working in the back side of the stitch only, half-double crochet in each stitch
across the row.
- Repeat step 3 until the work is long enough to wrap around the hand.
Example: 5-8 years: 5 1/2 inches; 8 – 12 yrs: 6 inches; 12-16 yrs: 7 inches; Adult small: 8 inches;
Adult M-L: 9-10 inches
- Working across the side of the rectangle, (ridges will run up the arm, so work on the side with the
ends of the ridges. (See video for clarification: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf8LLgCyEIk
*Chain 2 and turn, single crochet approx. 2 stitches away, repeat from * to evenly work 10 chain 2
loops across the row.
(5-12 yrs: evenly work 6 chain 2 loops; 12 – 16 yrs; evenly work 10 loops)
- Dragon Scales or Shells:
Chain 1 and turn,
*in the next loop make: single crochet, 3 double crochet, single crochet, in the next loop make a
single crochet, repeat from * across the row.
- Chain 1 and turn, make a shell in the first stitch: single crochet, 3 double crochet, single crochet.
*Reach across the front of the next shell, and work a shell in the next space between shells.
Repeat from* across the row ending with a single crochet in the last stitch of the row.
- Chain 1 and turn, make a shell in the first single crochet stitch of the previous row.
Reach behind the next shell, and work a shell between the shells of the previous row, repeat from
* across the row, ending with a single crochet in the last stitch of the row. Fasten off with a long
Fold the work in half, and sew the side seam, leaving an opening for the thumb.
- Make the medallion: Chain 5, slip stitch to join and form a ring.
Carry the yarn end along the outside of the ring, chain 2, make 12 double crochet in the ring, slip stitch to join in the top of the first double crochet, fasten off. Pull the yarn end to close the hole in the center, sew onto the gloves with a button in the center.
Chain a cord of 30 stitches, pull through a few stitches, tie into a bow.
END OF PATTERN