This free crochet doll pattern is a great crochet toy to serve as BABY’S FIRST TOY, or for anyone of any age! Works up in less than 1 hour! Great shower gift, and you could add something inside to act as a rattle. (I recommend something like a pill bottle with a jingle bell inside, any small waterproof container will work.)
You can make them larger or smaller, explained in the pattern. A great SCRAPS project!!
Watch the tutorial here, or scroll down for the written pattern or pdf.
Worsted weight yarn, worked 2 strands
6.5 mm crochet hook
For a larger doll work with 3 strands and 8 mm crochet hook
For a smaller doll work with 1 strand and 4.5 mm crochet hook
- Chain 5, slip stitch to join and form a ring.
- Chain 1, carry the yarn end along the outside of the ring, make 8 single crochet in the ring,
slip stitch to join.
- Chain 1 and turn, *make 2 single crochet in the next stitch, single crochet in the next stitch,
repeat from * around, slip stitch to join. (12 stitches)
- *Chain 1 and turn, single crochet in each stitch around, slip stitch to join.
Repeat from * until the doll is as tall as desired. Fasten off.
- Attach light color for the face, repeat step 4 for 4 rows. Fasten off.
- HAT: Leave a long yarn end for sewing the hat to the doll. Chain 16, slip stitch to join.
*Chain 1, single crochet in each stitch around, slip stitch to join, repeat from * for 3 more
rows. Work in a spiral, decreasing one stitch every 3rd stitch until the work reaches
a point. Fasten off. Thread yarn end into a needle. Stuff the body and the hat, place hat
over the head, and sew all around. See the video for a demo.
Weave yarn around the body where the head meets the body, pull to gather and tighten up
to form a neck.
- ARMS: make 2. Chain 6, single crochet in the 2nd stitch from the hook and each stitch of the
chain. *Chain 1 and turn, single crochet in each stitch across the row. Repeat from *
until the arms are as long as desired, fasten off with a long yarn end. Thread into a needle, fold the work in half, and sew the arms closed (no need to stuff), sew the arms to the neck area.
Stitch 2 straight lines for the eyes with black yarn.
Tie a ribbon around the neck.
Download the PDF here: Sleepy Doll Crochet Pattern
You might also like this Mermaid Doll post!
Search the on the right for more patterns, or browse the index here.